Genital herpes is most common sexually transmitted disease in the United States caused by an incurable virus, commonly known as Herpes Simplex Virus or HSV.
The average herpes statistics can be somewhat of a surprise. Here is an info-graphic explaining how common is genital herpes virus:
How Genital Herpes Spread?
- By having oral, vaginal or anal sex with an infected person.
- Infected sex partner can have visible fluid sores that spread the infection.
Genital Herpes Common in United States
- One out of five people are affected from genital herpes in the United States.
- According to studies, 16% of population between the ages 14 and 49 has herpes.
- 85% of Americans are unaware that they are affected by genital herpes.
- Around 25% of adults have genital herpes.
Genital Herpes: Men Vs Women
- Women are more affected by Herpes than men.
- An estimated there are 25% of women and 20% of men with genital herpes.
Prevention and Conclusion
- Use latex condoms and take antiviral medication like Acyclovir or Valocyclovir can prevent you from genital herpes.
- Avoid having sex with an infected person.
- Herpes are easier to diagnose when sores are visible in the beginning stage. It should be brought to the attention of a doctor.